Jul 2, 2010

my kind of brooklyn

My father makes trips every few weeks into Brooklyn to see my Aunt Mary.  Usually I am working, so I cannot go with him.  Fortunately, summer vacation has opened up the opportunities for day time adventures that always involve eating.  Before getting me, he picked up Aunt Libby in the Bronx whose sons own a bread bakery.  Their bread can be found in Westchester restaurants and grocery stores. These are the same loaves of bread that my brother and I would eat in the grocery store as any good little Italian children would while my mother shopped. She had to embarrassingly give the cashier the empty bread bag in order to pay for it. 


some treasures from brooklyn

The journey to Brooklyn involved a trip to Coluccio's on 60th Street, a grocery store known for their cheeses, pastas, breads and all things Italian. Now Coluccio's has ravioli, but they aren't the best.  I was introduced to another gem....Pastosa's on New Utrecht Avenue...known to have the superior Ravioli. 

18 count box of love

breadsticks from the bakery

Once at Aunt Mary's, we had a delicious lunch coupled with desserts, watermelon and iced espresso over conversations in Italian.  I climbed the fig trees to find any ripe ones.  I picked string beans, fresh basil and mint.  All in all....a lovely day for family, food, and an adventure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pastosa's is the best. They have a shop up the street from my parents' house on SI. You would love this shop.

eurodrifter said...

Good stuff. the little things you just can't get anywhere else...except the source, of course.