Aug 29, 2010

the journey...in a mexican minute

In taking a 6:00am flight out of New York, one is forced to wake up at some ungodly hour...and by ungodly, I mean an hour where flocks of intoxicated people are still fighting the beats on 3rd Avenue at Joshua Tree. Having to arrive two hours prior to take off, my alarm is set for 2:30, followed by meeting a taxi with Kim in it at 3:30 on the corner and feeling pretty confident we would be the only ones at the airport. Well, it was packed. Fast forward 2,412 miles, 6 hours 15 min in the air, 2 time zones, 1 stop over in DFW, an egg sandwich with hash brown at 5:30am (ET) in LGA, a McDonalds hash brown and tea in DFW at 8:45 am (CT) and finally those wonderful words anyone traveling for a long period of time loves to hear:

"Ladies and gentleman, we are now making our descent into Los Cabos International Airport....blah, blah, blah."

Having been asleep most of the flight...I open the window shade and see this from up above:
...it looked like an aerial view above Siberia during the summer months.  There were no palm trees, no pristine ocean water, so white sandy beaches...no life.  Barren. Clearly there was something wrong.  Had the plane been hijacked? Had I boarded the wrong plane?  Was Danielle really getting married here!? 

Well, upon landing, retrieving the luggage, going through Mexican customs, pressing the red button, and getting into Mr. Teddy's car...we drove off for about twenty-five minutes and arrived here:
While checking in, we were welcomed with a frozen pomegranate margarita and hugs from Danielle and Paul.  This place was a far cry from what I had seen from up above.   

Below are the treasures waiting in the rooms for each of the wedding guests.  Yes, there lay a bottle of tequila, Pringles, and eye drops.  
...we quickly changed into our bathing suits, but it wasn't before long...after a dip in the pool and a few drinks...all that traveling and lack of sleep caught up on my fellow flyers.  I couldn't make time for such naps. I was in Cabo.  Danielle was getting married.  And I...I was ready for another drink.  

No comments: